Chief Minister Launches October Business Month
Media release from NTG Newsroom, Michael Gunner: 13 September 2016
Chief Minister and Minister for Trade, Business and Innovation, Michael Gunner today announced an exciting line-up of 171 events across the Territory as part of October Business Month (OBM).
“This year’s program of events includes over 90 free business events to support small to medium enterprises to start, run and grow,” Mr Gunner said.
“Entrepreneurs, bestselling authors, industry leaders and innovators are among the line-up of high calibre speakers who will share their knowledge with Territory business.
“The Territory Labor government is supporting local business through our strong buy local plan, and investing in jobs.
“Small and medium business is the backbone of our economy and OBM provides a range of exciting opportunities for those businesses to increase their knowledge and skillset.”
The Chief Minister was also joined by the Chair of Small Business Round Tables, Jeff Collins.
“It’s imperative we reopen those channels with local business who are such a crucial element for jobs and our economy,” Mr Collins said.
This year's key note speakers include:
· Janine Allis, founder of Boost Juice, Retail Zoo and investor on Shark Tank. A Telstra Business Woman of the Year, Australian Business Women Hall of Fame inductee, Amex Franchiser of the Year and Exporter of the Year, Janine’s story is guaranteed to motivate and inspire any business person, in any industry.
Janine will present ‘The Accidental Entrepreneur – How a Girl from the Burbs Created an Australian Icon’ at the OBM official opening events in Alice Springs and Darwin on 3 October.
· Sarah Wilson, New York Times best-selling author, entrepreneur and founder of IQuitSugar.com, an online wellness program and series of bestselling books. Sarah will share with the Territory business community the simple tricks she’s learned to healing her own body and that she’s translated into her I Quit Sugar programs that have seen 1.8 million people quit sugar and find their ultimate health.
Sarah will present ‘The New Wellness’ in Darwin on 11 October.
· Steven Bradbury OAM, Olympian, gold medallist and businessman returns to OBM to share his inspirational story of triumph over adversity with Territory businesses. Steven started his own business, Revolutionary Boot Company (RBC), after seeing a gap in the custom speed skate and cycling shoe market.
Steven will present ‘Be the Last One Standing’ in Nhulunbuy on 13 October and Katherine on 15 October.
· Mark McCrindle is recognised as a leader in tracking emerging issues and researching global trends. An award winning social researcher, best-selling author, TEDX speaker and Principle of McCrindle Research.
Mark will present ‘Trends and Tactics with Social Media: Engaging with New Communities, Connecting with Emerging Customers’ in Alice Springs on 21 October, and ‘Understanding and Engaging with the Ever Changing Customer’ in Tennant Creek on 22 October.
· Scott Boocock, Territory export and inventor of the HEG™, will deliver a must-see keynote presentation at OBM’s premier networking event, the OBM Business Dinner in Darwin. Share Scott’s journey through the challenges that he and his team had to overcome to make the HEG™ an international brand and ensure a smooth chain supply.
Scott will present ‘Yes to Innovation!’ in Darwin on 28 October.
“OBM Platinum sponsor, NAB will host two events as part of OBM this year, bringing Territory favourite and NAB Senior Economist David de Garis to provide an update on the Australian and Territory economies,” Mr Gunner said.
“Business Chicks also return to the Northern Territory in 2016, hosting an exciting Business Chicks breakfast in Darwin on 25 October, featuring guest speaker and Business Chicks global CEO Emma Isaacs.”
The Australian Institute of Company Directors and CPA Australia bring Chairman of Coopers Brewery, Glenn Cooper to Alice Springs to share the Coopers Brewery story at their annual business dinner on 13 October.
For the first time, OBM will have a pop-up office in the Mitchell Centre, Darwin, from today to 7 October. Pop in and visit the team where you can find out more about the program, register for events, chat to one of the departments Business Development Officers or pick up a copy of the OBM calendar.
For a full list of events visit www.obm.nt.gov.au or search October Business Month on Facebook.
October Business Month would not be possible without the support of sponsors:
o National Australia Bank
o Charles Darwin University
o PricewaterhouseCoopers Indigenous Consulting
o Merit Partners
o Darwin Corporate Park
o Telstra Business Centre Northern Territory
o Nine Darwin
o Mix 104.9 and Hot 100
o Territory FM
o Sun969 and 8HA
o The NT News
For the NTG Newsroom media release, click here.